The following are organizations in Peterborough that will assist you to start and operate a business here:
Business Advisory Centre
The Business Advisory Centre (BAC) of Peterborough Economic Development is a resource centre for entrepreneurs and small business owners. The BAC is a member of the Ontario Ministry of Economic Development and Trade’s network of small business enterprise centres across Ontario. There is no charge for most of the BAC services, resources and business consultations.
- Business plan review and access to market research tools
- Access to a computer workstation and the Internet
- Business consultations for start-up and existing businesses
- Free legal and accounting advice from local industry professionals
- Seminars and networking opportunities for new and existing businesses
- Business resources library: suppliers, sales and marketing, business plans and more
- Seven additional service kiosk locations throughout Peterborough County providing a computer workstation with internet access, resources and business consultations closer to home
- Starter Company is for any Peterborough city or county resident between the ages of 18 and 24 not attending school. It provides access to workshops, training and resources to develop a business plan.
- Summer Company program provides an opportunity for students,15 to 29 years old, to start and run their own summer businesses.
The Peterborough Community Futures Development Corporation
The Peterborough Community Futures Development Corporation (CFDC) is an agency dedicated to help small business in the City and County of Peterborough. They provide access to capital, strategic community planning & development, economic development, and business consulting and planning.
They have assisted more than 639 businesses in Peterborough since 1985.
They provide information on:
- Business Loan
- Starting a Business
- Eastern Ontario Development Program (EODP) - Funding for projects that focus on:
- Business Development
- Community Innovation
- Futurpreneur Canada - Funding for start-up financing of up to $15,000 for young entrepreneurs
Greater Peterborough Chamber of Commerce
The Greater Peterborough Chamber of Commerce (GPCC) advocates for the concerns of Peterborough area businesses and acts as a source of information for members and the general public. It has over 1,000 registered members.
Joining the GPCC allows you to connect with representatives from all sectors of business including retail, service, manufacturing, agricultural, tourism, financial and professional. Membership is open to all persons who share a common interest in the community, business and free enterprise system. Additionally, the GPCC hosts a series of monthly events that allow its members to network and learn about their business activities.
The following are services and websites where you can find information and advice about starting a business. Settlement.org answers the question ‘Where can I get help to start a business?’ through various resources and links.
It is best to ensure that you start your business following the proper steps concerning taxes and registering your business. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is a federal agency that administers tax laws for most provinces and territories, and various social and economic benefit and incentive programs delivered through the tax system.
When starting your own business, there are some aspects you need to determine. CRA provides full detail on how to register your business. You will also need to register your business and obtain a Master Business License to operate a business in Ontario. CRA is the federal agency to register your business. Service Ontario is the provincial agency to register your business. After defining all the requirements to register your business you can proceed to get your Business Number via the internet.
Find out how a recent newcomer started her very first business in Peterborough in this video from Ontario East Economic Development.