Translation provided by Google Translator Google Logo| Translation Disclaimer
Welcome Peterborough Logo
Generic image of Peterborough
Food and Shopping
Personal Finance
Children services
Seniors Services
Places of Worship
Getting Settled


PIP Logo

What should I know about income tax?

In Canada, income tax is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Anyone who receives income in Canada must submit an Income Tax and Benefit Return.

The Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) has video presentations on understanding the Canadian tax system and what is required to complete and file your income tax and benefit return. They can be found at Newcomers to Canada and the Canadian Tax System and Preparing Your Income Tax and Benefit Return.

Your employer may deduct income tax from each paycheque. A detailed explanation of the Canadian tax system can be found at Settlement.Org.

Filing an income tax return is extremely important. You need to file one each year to qualify for various tax credit programs, such as the Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB). A more detailed list of benefits is available on the Canada Revenue Agency site.

You will need to file your income tax return each year by April 30th. You can file by yourself or have an income tax professional complete your income tax for you.  If you need help and cannot afford to pay for assistance, you may be eligible to use the services of a free tax clinic.

Can't find what you need? Visit our FAQ section