How do I find a doctor?
Family DoctorsWhen you move to Peterborough, you should try to find a family doctor immediately. To do this, you can:
- Register with the Family Health Team (FHT) (an organization committed to expanding access to primary care)
- Register with Health Care Connect (a service offered by the Ontario Government to help Ontario residents find a family doctor)
- Ask friends or family members if their doctor is accepting new patients
- Use the Doctor Search service from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- Ask the hospital
What if I don’t have a doctor?If you do not have your own doctor, you can go to the Peterborough Clinic or the Emergency Room at the Peterborough hospital. If you are not very sick or seriously injured, you may have to wait for several hours before seeing a doctor. People who are very sick or badly injured will be helped first.
Other options if you don’t have a family doctor:
- Health Care Options Medical Services Directory
- Telehealth Ontario
Telehealth OntarioTelehealth Ontario is a telephone service that lets you talk to a registered nurse at any time. For minor medical issues, this can be faster than waiting in a clinic waiting room. The nurse can give you advice, and can tell you if a doctor or emergency room visit is necessary.
Telehealth service is available in English and French. A translator can by provided for more than 100 languages. Telehealth Ontario is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and can be reached by dialing 1-866-797-0000 or, if you use a TTY phone (teletypewriter), 1-866-797-0007.
You do not need OHIP to use Telehealth.
Can't find what you need? Visit our FAQ section