HealthCanada prides itself on its health care system. All Canadians have access to free, quality health care.
In Peterborough we have a state-of-the-art hospital, dedicated Family Health Teams, and strong community support. Peterborough Regional Health Centre (PRHC) is an acute-care facility that provides an extensive range of services. A new facility opened in 2008 to serve more than 300,000 people in the Peterborough area.
Peterborough was one of the first communities to establish Family Health Teams. This successful model brings health care providers together to coordinate the best possible patient care. The teams include doctors, nurses, dietitians, social workers, and pharmacists.
The Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care provides medical care to Ontario residents through the Ontario Health Insurance Program (OHIP). The Ministry also provides in-home care for disabled or ill persons and special equipment for people with disabilities. General guides to health care in Ontario are provided by OntarioImmigration.ca and Settlement.Org.
If you need translation services or an interpreter to understand a doctor or nurse, this can be arranged. For more information on interpreter services contact the New Canadians Centre.
- How do I get health insurance?Provides instructions for applying for a Health Card through the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). Private health insurance and international student coverage is also explained.
- How do I find a doctor?Finding a family doctor, what to do if you don't have a doctor, and how to use Telehealth Ontario.
- What should I expect when visiting a doctor?What documents to take with you, and an explanation of basic standard procedure in Canada.
- What do I do in an emergency?A brief explanation of emergency room visits, 9-1-1 telephone service, and ambulances.
- What sexual and reproductive health services are available?Doctors, midwives, and other resources to help you with pregnancy, childbirth, and raising your baby.
- What other types of health care are available?Alternative Health Care (such as naturopathy, acupuncture and massage), dental health care, eye care, and how to find these services in Peterborough.
- What if I am having trouble coping?Moving to a new country can be very stressful. You will face many challenges and new experiences, and life may be overwhelming at times. If you are having trouble getting used to life in Canada, you should know that this is not unusual, and you are not alone. Help is available from many organizations.
Can't find what you need? Visit our FAQ section