Translation provided by Google Translator Google Logo| Translation Disclaimer
Welcome Peterborough Logo
Generic image of Peterborough
Food and Shopping
Personal Finance
Children services
Seniors Services
Places of Worship
Getting Settled


PIP Logo

What is a Municipal Government?

City Hall FlowersMunicipal governments are cities, towns, villages, counties, districts, or metropolitan regions. They are responsible for local services such as water supply, sewage and garbage disposal, roads, sidewalks, street lighting, building codes, parks, playgrounds and libraries.

Our municipal government is the City of Peterborough.

In Ontario, the head of a municipal government is either called the Mayor, the Reeve, or the Warden. The members of council are called Councillors or Aldermen.

Municipal governments pass laws to regulate local activities within their control. Schools are generally looked after by school boards or commissions elected under provincial education acts.

Can I vote in a municipal election in the city of Peterborough?

Once you become a Canadian citizen, you will be able to vote in Municipal Elections to elect a mayor and City Councillors if you are at least 18 years old and meet at least one of these conditions:
  • You live in the City of Peterborough
  • You own or rent property in the City of Peterborough 
  • Your spouse owns or rents property in the City of Peterborough
Elections occur every four years. Any Peterborough resident aged 18 or older may run for Mayor or City Councillor.

What is a Mayor?

The Mayor is the elected leader of the City of Peterborough. He or she chairs meetings of the Council, as well as represents the City at local ceremonies, meetings and conferences.

What is a City Council?

The City of Peterborough is divided into five areas called wards. This ward map of Peterborough will help you determine your ward. Each ward elects two City Councillors to represent them. They meet as City Council to pass by-laws and establish policy within the authority of the Ontario Municipal Act. Councillors are considered part time workers and many hold jobs outside their council position. If you have concerns about the City you can contact your City Councillors.

Can't find what you need? Visit our FAQ section