Translation provided by Google Translator Google Logo| Translation Disclaimer
Reduce the text sizeRestore the text sizeIncrease the text size
Welcome Peterborough Logo
Generic image of Peterborough
How do I immigrate to Peterborough?
Who can help me with the immigration process?
Working In Canada
International Students
Before I Arrive
The First Days
Who can help me get settled?
How do I become a Canadian citizen?
Canadian Values
Story Gallery


PIP Logo

How do I immigrate to Peterborough?

Immigrants holding papers and Canadian passportIf you want to immigrate to Peterborough, you need to have legal immigration status. Unless you are claiming  to be a refugee, you will need to apply for this status before you come to Canada.  There are many different types of legal immigration status.  To simplify, we can group immigration status into two broad categories: temporary status and permanent resident status.

Temporary Status - A few examples of temporary status include:

Permanent Resident Status  

If you have permanent resident status, then you are an immigrant or refugee who has been granted the right to live permanently in Canada.  You can apply for permanent resident status through a variety of ways, including as a skilled worker, Canadian experience class, through the Provincial Nominees Program, as an investor, entrepreneur or business person, under the humanitarian and compassionate class or as a refugee claimant. Further information on your rights and responsibilities as a permanent resident in Canada is available on the CIC website.

For detailed information on immigration statuses and links to relevant applications, please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website. On that website you can also check current processing times for specific applications.

IELTS is an international standardised test on English language proficiency and it is a requirement for immigration to Canada. The CELPIP Test is the Canadian English language test for immigration to Canada, Canadian citizenship, and for admission to Canadian universities and colleges.

For further information on immigrating to Canada please consult the information provided by, and Do You Want To Come To Canada?

Can't find what you need? Visit our FAQ section